Sunday, November 21, 2010

Happy Sunday! (maybe? or how I'm 273 dollars lighter)

Plumbers are good people, they work hard and make a good buck. So opens my silly weekend were everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Friday night after work picked Cindy up and went to Culver's the meal was very good as always. So far so good right, right! Off to Menard's for plumbing parts to fix the leaky toilet. Got from Menard's (1) toilet fill valve $8.99 not bad, (should fit any and all toilets)  Hey that's what it says on the box anyways. Plus got a few other doodads for around the house. Any ways all is well with the world as we get home and enjoy our evening.
 At this time and point I will not go into the Chicago Blackhawks play as too it is not right to talk about that game after the point of Saturday morning. It is Sunday now so I will move on.
GOOD MORNING SATURDAY!
Saturday world in my house is a welcomed and is also a time for the drinking of coffee and watching of t.v. it's the most relaxing of days. Oh yes and the reading of the news paper, now Saturdays paper is a very small paper as of the last few years. I do still enjoy it because, it is the feeling of the paper in your. And I just like sitting in the kitchen table and reading it. (silly I know!) So after the reading of the paper I move into the couch and watch House on DVR. Cindy doesn't like the show much, but I enjoy the hell out of it..... Well with my Saturday morning well under way papers read, and House watched it time to be a plumber.
Getting all my tools together reading the instructions ( yes I did read the instructions) I begin the walk into the unknown. Removing the water from the tank and removing all the old parts, and then putting the new parts in. Going off the instructions doing each step. Carefully looking at the drawings to make sure it all looks the same. All is good with my world. Parts working like they should and going very well.(as a side line projects never go my way) This was so I was very happy. The fitting of the water line, yep that water line. So taking  everything a part that I had in the tank. Making the water line fit, still my world was very good, I can take a set back like this it's all good!
Now time has come to turn on the water. With breath held I turn the little valve. The sound of water fills the room, and the water fill the tank. I'm watching as the tank level rises. Watching the water as it hits the mark of where water for years in this tank has hit. With breath held the valve stops the water. I look over to Cindy who is in the doorway of our second bathroom and I on the floor. The water stopped, I said it out load. "THE WATER STOPPED!" Yes it had stopped, I was feeling at the top of my game. My male ego very much feeling well male.
Then I looked down, and what I saw made my blood run cold. Yes it was dripping. "Damn-it!" I said under my breath. Well maybe it need a turn of the wrench, yes that's what it needs just a turn or two of the wrench. It still was leaking maybe even more. Drip, drip ,drip turning the wrench. Maybe it was the old water line, maybe the old water line didn't play well with others.
So off to Menard's I went, telling myself yep I just put in that new water line and it will be all good. In and out of Menard's in no time, and back upstairs in the second bathroom were I have now spent the good part of my morning. Removed the old line and put in the new one. I'm like a pro I said to myself as the new water line went in. The new water line is a tube kind and was 9 inches long. It looked a little short or long. I was able to make it work by looping it from the wall to the tank. The closeness of the loop made the water in the hose sound funny and the tank filled very slowly.
Cindy came upstairs to see how I was doing plus to tell me she was off to the store. To pick up things for the holiday coming up. As the tank filled and stopped as it should once again I felt like I had done something good. Even if the tank filled slow, it filled and it didn't leak. And then it happened drip drip drip...... It had the wrench put to it, and still drip, drip,drip...... Maybe the loop was making this happen.
So off to ACE Hardware were I pick up and 16 inch water line the loop would not be to close and the water would run freely into the tank. Back home with the new water line in place, I'm getting so good at this. I was thinking to myself. Turned on the water the tank filled fast it stopped at the line, looked down and no dripping. No ego this time just a feeling of this is done. Came down stairs got a drink of water and got to sit down and thinking that all is right with the world. Thinking  about the job I've just done, I went up to clean up my tools, and drip,drip, drip........
I called a plumber he came in the house and 15 minutes later he was gone 273 dollars gone out of my pocket and no drips........

No comments:

Post a Comment